Last week I have met several American people from Microsoft as they visited our Pakistan Office. Two of them are Software Dev and QA Person. We've spent about a week with them. They all seems to be like us. But only one difference I found. They are very very PROFESSIONAL. In all their work, in their attitude and all the things.
Regarding software development they are almost of same caliber as we are but one thing which I found different is that whatever they do or learn, they are master of that. They are not jack of all. On the other hand, the Pakistani Devs are jack of all.
Well any of the above attitudes can be right but what I think one should know what he is doing and that is lacking here. These people are also very dedicated. The developer's age was 39 and QA's was 46. So you can imagine now in that age, they are still doing technical things. On the other hand in Pakistan, we starts dreaming of being a manager or something like that right after only 3 or 4 years of technical work. It also signifies a fact that they are above all professional politics. The are busy most of the time with their work and don't care about others. I think that is very important thing and it is also lacking in Pakistani Professionals. There is culture of favoritism has been developed in the companies. I think we should try to get rid of all these bullshits.
We should respect and cooperate with our peers and colleagues so that we can expect the same thing from them.
Friday, July 20
Lack of Professionalism in Pakistan
Posted by
Fahad
at
10:23
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Fahad
I totally agree with you about lack of professionalism in our software industry, this is one of observations I also observe while interacting with our UK sister company. Young blood, a relatively new industry and our overall society culture have attributed to this fact, but of course there are positive signs and things are improving.
Regarding people in their 30s and 40s still developing, doing QA: one of the reason our developer looks for management position is the fact that there is no future for only a programmer or QA in the long run, particularly I am referring to financial aspect. Therefore, sometimes even reluctantly one has to opt for management to earn bread.
Ali
Post a Comment